Basic feature list
Reads BRF (Braille Ready Files) and PEF (Portable Embosser File)
360 cells: nine lines of forty characters of Braille
Supports all six-dot Braille codes (including music, maths and all languages)
Dimensions: 37cm x 19cm x 4cm (14.5" x 7.5" x 1.5"), 2.8KG (6lb)
2x USB-A; 1x USB-B; SD Card slot; HDMI out; 3.5mm audio out
3 page navigation buttons
9 line select keys
Contextual help button
- 1.2mm dot diameter.
- Dot profile a perfect dome.
- 2.5mm dot-to-dot within cells.
- 6.5mm cell-to-cell, from centre of dot one to centre of dot one.
- 15.5mm line-to-line, from centre of dot one to centre of dot one.
- Dots are hard plastic, like signage Braille, and therefore cannot be compressed like ordinary refreshable Braille.
- 40 cells per lines, 9 lines = 360 cells of Braille. This makes the reading area compatible with preformatted BRF and PEF pages with the standard 25–27 lines, which it splits into three sub pages.
- Reading surface a single plastic sheet with a paper-like feeling.
- Reading surface is a slot-board, rather than a pin-board as used in refreshable Braille displays, meaning two small 2mm by 8mm slots for every cell, as opposed to six 2mm dia holes for every cell.
Input and ports
- A total of buttons along the left-hand side;
- Besides the nine lines of Braille these buttons are marked between 1–9, acting as selection buttons which correspond with menu items on each line.
- Below the ninth line is a button marked ‘0’. In combination with the buttons above this allows for page selection by page number.
- Above the first line is a button marked ‘h’ for contextual help.
- Three large buttons — Previous, Menu and Next — below the ninth line.
- On the left-hand side of the unit:
- Two USB-A ports for loading books via a USB memory stick.
- One USB-B port for connecting to an external computer to act as a display (this functionality it still in development and will be released as an upgrade for all early purchasers of Canute 360).
- One SD card slot for storing the library of files and user settings.
- One 3.5mm audio-out jack (this is made available to allow for potential future upgrades).
- The power-in port, accepting standard laptop power supplies at 19V, on the right-hand side of the back of the unit. Base unit will be mains only in its initial iteration.
- 37cm x 19cm x 4cm (14.5" x 7.5" x 1.5"), 2.8KG (6lb).
- Aluminium surround, plastic reading surface.
Firmware and software
- Open Sourced API via USB-B port or custom stand-alone software.
- Includes Raspberry Pi micro-computer running stand-alone software from a Linux operating system.
- Open Sourced stand-alone ebook reading software, written in Python, which provides compatibility with any BRF and PEF formatted files with 40 or less cells per line, and has basic ebook functionality.
- Updates (‘reflashing’) are instigated by loading a zip file via the SD or USB-A port.